Thursday, November 6, 2014

The Last 2 Years: August 2013

**Disclaimer:  this is going to be a long one

August was another incredibly busy month! We had 2 trips and 2 sets of visitors, van trouble and the start of school.

Let’s just say it: I am an awesome wife!  No really, I’m awesome and I’m really good at gifts.  I think I have a knack for finding and thinking of things that are unique and cool.  That’s my intro for the beginning of August and Aarons’ birthday. 

Last year Aaron was deployed. The year before that he was on a plane headed to water survival school in Florida.  I decided it was time to celebrate and celebrate right.  I had recently been talking to Landon Rasmussen and he mentioned that he and Shadley had ticket to see comedian Brian Regan in Ft Collins on Aug 8th.  That got me thinking.  How cool would it be to surprise Aaron with a trip down to Colorado to visit the Rasmussens and see Brian Regan? 

**Let me insert that I am also REALLY into surprises!). 

I wanted to do this on the sly so I called the clinic and got Aaron’s schedule cleared without him knowing, called Poon (37th commander) and got the leave paperwork finished and then packed us all up.  To throw him off the trail I brought in lunch to the clinic as the “big birthday to-do” then waited for him to get home.  I had to get home first so I could load the van and get the kids home (I pulled them out for a half day).  The clinic stalled Aaron for another 30 minutes and then he came home.  We told him to change and get in the van.  I had already gone to Common Cents to get drinks and gas up the car. Then we all got in and started driving.  I made it to Hermosa before he started asking questions.  I had a birthday card filled out that he was getting the gift of “Leave” for his birthday.  It was so much fun!!  I really outdid myself.  (We even stopped at The Pizza Place in Lusk for the worlds best pepperoni pizza for dinner).

*Sweats Ville Zoo:





*Present time:



Knife Belt!

While we were in Ft Collins the big kids planned and executed a wedding for Jonas and Ainsley.  They all dressed in blue and purple, Alex played the piano, Luke read a scripture, Quinn officiated, and Sydney and Lily did decorations and Camryn made the wedding portraits.  It was amazing how thorough they were, having never been to a wedding before. 

*The wedding:
 
Bachelor Party playing H-O-R-S-E

Wedding Portraits  

We got home and 2 days later my Uncle Jeff and Aunt Pat passed through on their epic summer road trip. 

*Mt Rushmore



*Crazy Horse (and lunch at Alpine Inn – not pictured)



*Ellsworth Plane museum
 
B-1

B-52

Because it sounded like fun, we planned a trip to Park City. 

*Independence Rock:




D V Herbert July 8, 1897
*Martin’s Cove:


Sweet Water River memorial in view of the Cove

*Tye Dye night:





*Family Fun Center:





*Alpine Slides:





And for the most awesome ending to a great trip, I hit a deer with our van.  It was terrible!

*Stupid Deer!!



Reports came home on the first day of school that Camryn had gotten in a fight.  I still have never gotten the whole story but what I can piece together is that a 1st grader called Camryn a baby and she pushed (and yelled?) back.  I will probably never actually know but it’s a great story all the same. 

*First day of school:


the fighter

Camryn, Ainsley and Jayda Bhonenkamp

Seriously?  Will the fun ever stop?  Cami and Ethan came to visit.  This time, we went to Devil’s Tower and then a great Mexican Restaurant where the wait staff actually only speak Spanish!

*Devil’s Tower and Guadalajara’s:




At Guadalajara's  in Spearfish, SD.  Amazing Mexican food!



No comments:

Post a Comment