Monday, October 27, 2014

The Last 2 Years: October 2012

October was a big deal in that I had my first bout of DKA.

I woke up high, like in the 600s high and never came down.  Turns out that I had the flu and I was sick and throwing up all night Saturday and Sunday.  Dehydration plus vomiting is such a bad combination when it comes to diabetes!

I called the closest priesthood, who ended up being my visiting teachers husband Mike Archbold, to come over and give me a blessing.  This was good because then my visiting teacher got into action calling my other one, Nikki Schrubb, who called her dad an ER Dr and he came over.  We skipped church and the kids were riding bikes outside which is when my neighbor came over because that was unusual. Kelly came over, feed people lunch, changed Ainsley's diaper and double checkied on me.  Kay and Nikki  came over with dinner and then Nikki called her dad to come check on me, seeing hat tI was in pretty bad shape although i was convinced that  I was not fine but not hospital worthy.  Once her dad came over it was clear that I was and Nikki took me to the ER.  My mom had been in town and left Thursday and then flew back in Monday because I was in the hospital for 2 days.  Kelly spent Sunday night with the kids, Kay came over and got them ready for school and Nathan Parkin , the Elders Quorum President, picked mom up from the airport after Cody called him.

When all was said and done I had lost 15lbs of fluid in 36 hrs.  It took the ER 6-7 liters to reinflate me initially.  It took another week or so for my muscles to get back into form so that I wasn't winded walking up the stairs.  It took another week for food to look like something that I wanted to eat.

My biggest regret that I remember is not wanting to have the kids see me in the hospital.  Mostly, I was so tired and worn out that I just didn't want to deal with them.  I see that that was foolish, especially with Aaron gone.  They needed to see that I was OK. Cody Scheel, my home teacher was out of town in New Jersey with his wife but called me as soon as he heard I was sick and got people calling around to help with the kids.

It was a great example of a ward family pulling together when immediate and extended family are not available.

Other October happenings:

*More soccer:


*Hiking what we thought was the Strato Bowl with Hammers (we were not he back side):



*Sesame Street Live at the Civic Center:


*Flowers form my family and friends after the DKA:

*Alex earning his bear rank in Cub Scouts:

*A whole lot of Halloween:
 A Witch

Rock Star

Light-up Cinderella

Percy Jackson

*Football Playoffs:

*Carving Pumpkins the night before Halloween because mom couldn't get it together sooner:








1 comment:

  1. Wow, I do not remember that at all. Glad you pulled through and everyone pitched in.

    ReplyDelete