Monday, June 7, 2010

Last day of school...and a baby bird

Today was Alex's last day of school!  Yeah for summer vacation, sleeping in (for me) and hanging out at the swimming pool (not for me, my white legs and pregnant belly...but I'll do it anyway).  I'm the afternoon carpool pick-up so I cranked the High School Musical song "What Time Is It?" (answer: summer time) and headed home. It was a gorgeous day, 75 degrees with a slight breeze and a few scattered clouds.  I thought to myself, "what a day for a Slurpee!".  There's a gas station a few blocks down from our neighborhood so I thought "what a great day for a walk!".  So the kids and I headed out for a great school's out walk to get our Slurpees.

Sydney and Cammer were busy smelling flowers and Alex was telling tales of lost teeth and reading tests when we can upon a dead baby bird in the middle of the sidewalk.  It had fallen out of its nest in the tree above us.  It was brand new, still yellow with a little peach fuzz.  I called the kids back to look at it - hoping to answer any questions they might have (being the bird expert that I am).  We looked at it's beak, saw the little wings, and noticed that it's eyes weren't yet open.  We soon exhausted all bird talk and turned to leave.  We all stood to leave except for Camryn who was still looking at "the baby".  I called for her to come and without hesitation she exclaimed "bye baby bird"... and then stomped it !

I can still hear the squish beneath her sandals and see the squirt shoot out the side.  It's kinda funny now that I'm not dry-heaving over it.

8 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness!!! I was shocked and then laughed!! Such a dainty but tough looking girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Animal cruelty.... Better keep your eye on her! hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH MY!! That is NOT the ending I was expecting. LOL!! Funny story!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet story...kind of. Not really the memory you want to keep replaying in your mind! Enjoy your summer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am trying to muffle my laughing b/c Carson is "sleeping" in the other room. So funny. What did the other kids say? Lets hope Camryn doesn't follow in her Dad's footsteps. I wonder what kind of doctor she'd be...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not what I expected. I don't know whether to laugh hysterically or puke.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the new picture by the way! You look great - I love the haircut and Alex's smile! He looks like he is coming up with a scheme of some sort!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Was is still alive? In your email where you told the story for some reason i had the impression it was already dead. Either way really funny and gross!! That is one she will either enjoy when she is older or be completely mortified that you still tell the story. It could be like naked baby pictures!! Tell all the boyfriends the first time they meet the family.

    ReplyDelete