Saturday, February 6, 2010

One for the 2010 DUI tally

I'm just going to assume that everyone I know knows that I have diabetes.  If you don't, NOW you do.  I "manage" it with an insulin pump although some days, like Tuesday, it manages me.

Every once in awhile my blood sugar drops.  My lips go numb, I get tired, my hands get shaky and really cranky (or any combination of those).  That's on a good day.  Sometimes it drops too fast and I don't recognize the signs until it's too late and I'm really low.  When I get really low you can say that I get "drunk".  I get disoriented, VERY confused, and on rare occasions I don't know where I am.  The biggest problem is that when I get that low, I don't have the capacity to recognize how bad off I am. 

Tuesday night I was driving home from piano lessons with a mini van full of kids (my kids) when my blood sugar dropped.  Unfortunately it didn't just drop, it plummeted.  All I really remember looking back is that I made sure the kids had their seat belts on and that I missed the turn onto Sheridan Lake Road (to get to our neighborhood). 

What I don't remember is this...


Apparently I was "driving" around the neighborhood by the school (not close to home) when I rammed a Jeep parked on the side of the road.  Wait... it gets better!  I then drove away and continued heading for home.  So I was in a hit-and-run where I was the runner.  We finally get home, the kids are crying, telling Aaron that I crashed the car and I'm looking at the van trying to figure where that huge dent came from.  Aaron grabs Alex and they go off to find out who I hit while I sit inside drinking my weight in apple juice.  Luckily 1. Alex knew right where we were 2.  the people were really understanding and 3. we have great insurance.  Our car is now a haven for all things sugar (treats in every nook and cranny). 

All kidding aside, we are all fine and I'm just glad that no one was hurt.  Minus the Odyssey.

18 comments:

  1. WOW!!!! Aside from picturing your mug shot on the nightly news as "a person of interest" in a hit and run, and maybe a red light photo of you and the kids crying in the back seats.... I'm grateful that nothing worse happened and everyone, including you, is ok.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I will tell my mom about this or she won't ever sleep at night because my youngest sister is also diabetic. This is scary! So glad everyone is okay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not surprised, it's just like carolyn to go and do something like this...

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW That is SO scary!!! I am so glad that you are okay!!! What a story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gee whiz. How lucky that everything turned out okay-minus the van. Remind me never to ride with you driving ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy crazy! We're glad everyone is alright! That is scary.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, remind me never to drive with you again! Glad you are okay. This is Leah by the way. I'm just too lazy to sign Steve off and log on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know what I hear helps low blood sugar? Beer. Next time you are driving around and have a sudden drop I would recommend really quickly drinking five to six cans... that should take care of the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome story! Scary experience, though. Glad you all survived and you don't have one ot those breathalyzer attachments on your minivan.

    ReplyDelete
  10. SCARY. I would freak out like Alex. Then again I am only 12.
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow Carolyn, you really know how to take something routine and jazz it up! Glad you are all OK. - Morgan

    ReplyDelete
  12. That just takes my breathe away! I am so glad you are ok! I can't wait to hear how that story is retold when Alex is 16 and learning to drive - "Come on Mom, I can't be any worse of a driver than that time you . . .". So glad you are ok - take care of yourself. You are our favorite hit and run driver!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. CAROLYN........I FOUND YOU GUYS! I was thinking to myself out loud (happens more frequently after I hit 30) the other day "I wonder what Carolyn and Aaron are up to". I did a little search on facebook and couldn't find you, but then I was on Craig Strom's facebook wall and saw Aaron as his friend, then found you, then your blog, had a lot of laughs reading about your van, marveled at how we both have little girls named Sydney, blah blah blah..........man it's good to read about what your family is up to! My wife Cami also has a blog that she keeps up on a weekly basis at http://deans4.blogspot.com. I also added you and Aaron as friends on facebook. I look forward to hearing from you. (start playing some Bee Gees in the background for the exit music).....ah ah ah ah .... stayin alive, stayin alive....... lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am glad you guys are all ok! It makes for a great story though!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! I never knew drunk driving was a side effect of diabetes. I am so glad you are all ok and I am also glad you have loaded your car with sweets!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Holy! That is so scary... you are for sure being watched over! I miss hearing you tell your crazy stories, your the best at telling stories!

    ReplyDelete